Do you think you have “weird” eating habits…?
Many active people report they have “weird” eating habits. Some even feel ashamed and embarrassed they can’t do something as simple as eat “normally.” Unfortunately, this shame and embarrassment often becomes a barrier to seeking help. Some of these clients just need nutrition education to get them on the road to healthier food practices. Others have disordered eating practices or outright eating disorders and would benefit from the help of a sports dietitian.
If you wonder if you have an eating disorder, this quiz can help assess your situation.
1. Do you make yourself Sick because you feel uncomfortably full?
2. Do you worry you have lost Control over how much you eat?
3. Have you recently lost Over 14 pounds in a 3-month period?
4. Do you believe yourself to be Fat when others say you are too thin?
5. Would you say that Food dominates your life?
Give yourself 1 point is for every “yes”.
If you score 2 or higher, you may be struggling with anorexia or bulimia. Seek help!
Resources for help:
www.SCANdpg.org (use the referral network to find a local sports dietitian)
Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition Guidebook – chapters on Dieting Gone Awry
Any of the books at www.edcatalogue.com
Be wise … you need not struggle on your own. You can enjoy better quality of life by seeking help from counselors and sports dietitians who can help you find peace with food, weight, and your body.