Recipe for Skillet Lasagna
Looking for a quick and easy dinner tonight?
Try this family-friendly recipe from my Sports Nutrition Guidebook. It is just one of many yummy sports food recipes that are simple to make and taste great.
This is a much quicker version of the classic Italian lasagnas, and it offers all the taste. Because it is so simple to make, you’ll be able to enjoy lasagna more often. For a vegetarian dish, replace the ground beef with crumbled tofu. To fuel your muscles with more carbohydrate, serve this with crusty whole-grain rolls and fruit for dessert.
1/2 to 1 lb (250 to 500 g) extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 26-ounce (740 ml) jar spaghetti sauce
3 cups (720 ml) water
8 ounces (250 g) egg noodles, uncooked
1 cup (230 g) cottage cheese, preferably low fat
1/4 cup (25 g) grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 to 1 cup (120 to 240 g) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain.
2. Add the jar of spaghetti sauce and the 3 cups of water. (Rinse out the jar using some of the water.) Bring to a boil.
3. Stir in uncooked noodles. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the noodles are done.
4. Add the cottage, Parmesan, and mozzarella cheeses; stir gently into the noodle mixture. Cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
5. Optional: Sprinkle with additional mozzarella. Serve.
Yield: 4 hefty servings
Nutrition Information 2,100 total calories; 525 calories per serving;
60 g carbohydrate; 35 g protein; 16 g fat
For more recipes: